What's New at Laborers 1290
Laborers' Local 1290 is saddened at the loss of Business Agent, Union Brother and friend Jeff Myers, who suddenly passed away. Our deepest sympathies goes out to his family. Jeff will be greatly missed.
Visitation will be held on Friday, July 30, 2021 from 6:00 PM till 8:00 PM at the Parker Price Funeral Home, located at 245 NW Independence, Topeka, KS 66608. Funeral Service will be held on Saturday, July 31, 2021 at 10:00 AM.
Contributions can be made to the Jeff Myers Memorial Fund, 335 SW Orchard St., Topeka, KS 66606. Online Condolences can be made here.
If you have received 3 or more weeks of unemployment your eligibility to continue receiving benefits may be interrupted. The Kansas Department of Labor has made changes to their Unemployment Program. This new program, called the Reemployment Program, is being run through Kansas Works.
Everyone currently receiving benefits automatically has a Kansas Works account. Below are the one-time steps you must complete to continue receiving benefits without interruption. A previous notice was sent out in June. This is a reminder that the cut-off to complete these steps is TOMORROW, Friday July 16th by 12pm CT.
Failure to complete these steps will result in an interruption in benefits. Please read carefully!
MY REEMPLOYMENT PLAN REQUIREMENT
- The Kansas Department of Labor urges claimants to participate in the KANSASWORKS workforce program called “My Reemployment Plan” by Friday July 16. 2021.
- Claimants who do not participate in the program may be disqualified from receiving benefits under the new state law.
- This is a new requirement due to the Kansas Legislature passing a law that requires individuals currently receiving unemployment benefits through KDOL to complete the two-step workforce program called “My Reemployment Plan.”
MY REEMPLOYMENT PLAN STEPS
- The program, developed in collaboration with the Kansas Department of Labor and KANSASWORKS, requires claimants who have received three (3) continuous weeks of unemployment to complete the following two steps:
- If individuals are union members, during step #2 they will check yes to the question “Are you a union member who secures work only through a union?” select yes, enter their Union Hall Hiring # and then submit the form.
- Claimants will already have an account on KANSASWORKS.com. If a claimant is having trouble with their username or password, they can use the Forgot Password or Username located here.
- Claimants were notified by KANSASWORKS on or after June 23 about this requirement and have 7 days from the notification to get into compliance per the new law. KDOL will begin to disqualify claimants from receiving benefits who are out of compliance on Friday, July 16 at 12:00 pm CT. KANSASWORKS will continue to notify additional claimants as they become eligible.
- This is a one-time requirement. Claimants will not have to do these steps every three weeks.
- If claimants have questions about complying with the My Reemployment Plan they need to contact KANSASWORKS and NOT KDOL or the Kansas Department of Commerce. The best KANSASWORKS contact info is as follows:
- CALL 877-509-6757 to be connected to your closest Workforce Center
- LIVE CHAT: at KANSASWORKS.com
- NEAREST WORKFORCE CENTER: https://www.kansasworks.com/contact for the Workforce Center nearest you
- Website: www.kansascommerce.gov/mrp
The Laborers Health and Safety Fund of North America provides a monthly update on issues of importance to our members. We invite you to take a few moments and checkout some of the headlines that may impact you and your family.
July 2021 Lifelines Online:We invite you to Follow Us on Facebook
Local 1290 Membership Meetings are held on the 1st Tuesday of each month at 6:00 PM.